How to Dress for Success
“You cannot climb the ladder of success dressed in the costume of failure.” – Zig Ziglar
First impressions are everything. Whether you’re looking to get out there and land your dream job or up your game in your current role, first impressions should never be underrated. So how exactly do you put your best food forward in the style game? Here is what some iconic women have shared on dressing well:
“First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion”- Vogue, February 2009.
“Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”
“If you can’t be better than your competition, just dress better.”
1. When in doubt, dress classic and conservative. There is a time and a place to wear that mini skirt, and work or your next job interview is not one of them.
2. A pant suit, classic shift dress or pencil skirt are always good options. Stick to conservative colours- black, grey, navy, camel.
3. Don’t wear jewellery that is too pretentious or flashy. Any visible tattoos should be covered and any facial piercings removed.
4. Ensure your clothing is clean, pressed and well-fitted. Ensure your shoes are clean, polished and free of scuff marks.
5. Hair and makeup should be clean, fresh and minimal- a low pony, top knot or a nice blow-out are all good options.
Remember to dress for the job you want, not the job you have! If you want to become a CEO one day, start dressing like one!